Smith's - "View
from the Cab"
Official Trucking Information Series
• At least 21 years of age
• A valid CDL. Your CDL must be from the state that you declare to be your point of permanent domicile. To join the student program you must have a valid driver’s license and meet the Homeland Security / Transportation
• Must provide no less than 10 years of driving work history, non-driving work
history for the past five years.
• Previous employers and references will be checked for the 3-year period
immediately prior to joining the company. All time periods exceeding 59 days
must be accounted for.
• A stable work history and good references.
• No Abandoned Trucks at previous employers.
• Successfully complete the starting classes for Contractors or Orientation for
• No failed or refused drug or alcohol test in the last three years.
• No reckless driving convictions in the last three years.
• No license suspension for points in the last three years.
• No more than three moving violations during the last year.
• Must have no more than four moving violations and / or accidents during the last
• Have required documents to complete the US Department of Justice INS I-9
work form, or certified state copy of birth certificate or US passport.
• In addition to your CDL you must carry and present one or more of the following:
1. US Passport
2. Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
3. INS paperwork that shows US Citizenship or that permanent alien residence has
been established and is current.
• Successful completion of company’s orientation program.
This is a standard guideline for motor carrier hiring qualifications. Requirements may vary from company to company.